Wednesday, October 12, 2011

it figures...

Yesterday will go down in history as the most productive day as a mother of 2.  I had a beautiful, "I can do this" moment as I was sitting down on the couch feeding Charlie, with a meal simmering on the stove, trying to look up another recipe for an easy dinner to freeze, with laundry in the washer, and two projects drying on the kitchen table.  This sense of awe over this accomplishment is magnified by the fact that we were just away for the week - out of our element in the wonderful state of Florida with my family.  We made so many preparations for this trip, but as many parents know, the best of preparations do not quite prepare you for the unexpected potential of 2 little ones. 
Well, traveling was seemless.  Julia did great when she hunkered down with a DVD player and Charlie opted to sleep through the whole traveling ordeal.  Florida was amazing.  I couldn't have asked for anything more than time with my family!  We prepared dinners everynight, indulged in Julia's daily request for time on the beach, took Charlie in the ocean for the first time, and Charles and I even had some time together and stole away to a beach bar (or 2).  This may sound like a naiive statement, but I never thought that I was capable of feeling so much like a fun adult at this stage of parenthood.  So, we are home, unpacked, and ahead of our game. 
I can just hear the announcer:
"...and the parents swing into the lead!"
I will run the bases slowly and relish this pull ahead from behind.

Next week I return to work. Maternity leave is over.  Ugh, just when I felt like I was on top of things.
Once again we will teeter on the brink of trying juggle priorities while managing a busy schedule. Sometimes I feel like just when I am at the end of my "to do" list, it starts all over again. In the end, I just have to remind myself that productive days are a luxury. We are all happy...most of the time, everyone is fed and content...pretty much always, the housework will get done...at some point, I don't need to run away with the lead on this one :)

Here are some snapshots of our week in Florida.  Since we had a newborn this summer, this vacation was our mini summer all rolled up into one week.  Well worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment