Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rhubarb

Don't you just love recipe books that look like this?
The original copyright dates back to the late 1800's.   Many things have changed since that time, but some of  core values highlighted in this book are very similar to the current new/old way of thinking as we embrace some of these simpler times.  The introductory pages talk about eating square meals and how to appropriately set your table for a dinner party.  A whole section is dedicated to how to be a good host.  Ahh, the basics of human interaction that are lost in our fast paced, fast food world.
My neighbor has a wealth of rhubarb and I was on a search for the perfect recipe.  Thought there are tons of exciting new recipes online, sometimes it's nice to go back to an old cookbook for the goodness of a simple recipe.  My mother-in-law makes my husband's favorite rhubarb pie, so I decided to give it a try.  Besides the pie crust, just 4 simple ingredients are added.  
Although I will never make this like my mother-in-law, the results were quickly eaten by every individual in the house - including Charlie.  I'd say this was a win.

Rhubarb Pie 
3 cups rhubarb (the recipe calls for 2, but my mother-in-law said to add more).  I estimated and also threw in some strawberries.  I promise, a little more or less won't ruin it.
1 egg
2 Tblsp flour
1 cup sugar
Mix all together in a bowl, pour into pie crust. 
I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then drained out some of the liquid so that it wouldn't be so runny.  I also used a premade pie crust - the organic brand in our local stores are wonderful!  The recipe also calls for a 2nd pie crust over top.  I opted to cut stars out of the second pie crust for a lighter and fun variation.  
Bake at 375 for about 40min (until crust is browning).
And with some of the rhubarb extras, I reverted to my most favorite muffin recipe ever highlighted in this post from Charlie's newborn days.  The great part about these Ricotta Muffins is the fact that I can just substitute in the fruit that is in season at the time.  
And a special happy birthday to my favorite sister.  I would bake all of these special things for you if I could be with you right now.  You would yell at me and tell me I was trying to fatten you up.  
That's what sisters are for!
I am encouraged daily by your strength and grace and your ability to keep life in perspective.  Sometimes you move at a slow pace, but I think you've got it right...you will do just fine when you're old.  
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment