Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The 12 Days of...

The Christmas countdown begins, but the past 12+ days have marked sheer craziness in our home.  If you set up a video camera outside of our home and pressed the fast forward button, it would reveal some interesting activity!  We literally feel like life has pushed some hidden fast forward button on us - Julia will be 6 months old next week!  The following photos highlight some of the finer moments:

Thanksgiving morning stared bright and early with a "I can now eat whatever I want now that I have completed a Turkey Trot".  Since the closest 5k was 45 minutes away, we decided to host our own.  Charles ordered trophies that were something to be proud of.  My last sprint to the finish line was purely out of the desire to claim the trophy for this year.  I won the female division...which included only 3 of us.  I have to defend my title for next year, which is my motivation to stay in shape!  Kirstan and my mom are going to make a comeback! 

And to complete such an "accomplished" morning, Charles and I pulled off Thanksgiving for 13 people plus 4 babies under 8 months old.  We had such a great mix of our friends and family all in the same room.  God has truly blessed us this year with these individuals who are encountering parenthood at the same time. 
We captured a photo of all of the dads...this was the best we could do considering we had very little cooperation!

On Saturday we headed out to chop down a tree at the most beautiful tree farm in all of New England.  I was so excited to take Kirstan there - being from FL, she doesn't often get to see pine trees :)  It was the perfect New England day finished off with some soup and homemade bread for dinner as we decorated the tree.  For all of the craziness of the weekend, we had these little glimpses of perfection...the simple moments of soaking in the time with family and enjoying the season!

And on Sunday was Julia's baptism, which was a very moving service of celebration as we vowed to raise Julia to know God and to grow in her chuch community.  Our pastor used the symbol of light to describe her commitment to faith and her impact on this world.  It is so appropriate for the season of advent as there are lights everywhere reminding us of Jesus - the light of the world.  One little child...it is amazing to me to think of the impact she will have on this world!  I can already see how special she is.  I can only imagine how amazing it will be to see her grow and ask about Jesus and say her prayers...how humbling that we as parents guide her through this journey? 
This is the only picture that I camptured with my camera...it is adorable!  Charles was carrying her out of the church and the only thing that we had to cover her head was this santa hat...quite cute!

And finally, the thread of the entire weekend was some really special moments with my sister, which doesn't happen as often as I'd like.  She will be Julia's Godmother and also walking this journey with Julia.  Our time together makes me feel that all is right in the world - like we can be kids again and reminice and also get excited about these big changes in our lives.  I am so happy for the place that she is in her life right now and I am even happier when we get to share it together along with mom.  Over a glass of wine and a game of Scrabble.  Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment