Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our first week

Charlie woke up for a middle of the night feeding at promptly 2:36am on Wednesday morning.  What better way to celebrate his one week birthday than with a late night milk-fest between mommy and baby?
Call it lack of sleep or the haze of being on cloud nine since Charlie's arrival, but I'm not feeling very profound.  I have so many thoughts about this first week, but they don't seem to translate into words.  I do believe that experiencing the birth of your child does enter into that realm of not being able to find the right words to describe it.  We are still adjusting and I assume that we will be for a very long time.  We have had a ton of help and I wonder how Charles and I will be able to balance this on our own.  I have learned that life with a newborn is not the hard part - it gets tough when you throw a toddler into that equation!  I have also learned that breastfeeding does not necessarily get easier the second time around, but at least you know that there is an end in sight to the initial pain and discomfort.  This time around, I can get through the tough part with the anticipation of this next year of precious bonding time.  Though I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to the age-old question, "How could I possibly love this child as much as my daughter?", I have definitely learned that the moment I laid eyes on Charlie it was never a second thought. 
Love has multiplied in our home!  (Julia's love for her brother needs a little containing, but is very cute!) We have learned so much from this little guy already and are excited to continue to grow together as a family! 


1 comment: