Friday, December 2, 2011

baby feet

This week's advent theme is JOY.  Julia decided on the first morning that her daddy is the one thing that brings her the most joy.  Good call Julia, I have to agree!  Hands down my greatest joy is my family and on a smaller scale, baby feet.  Yes, you have read it right.  Baby feet.  There is no sweeter sound in the world than hearing Julia's little feet on the hardwood floors in the morning when she is going to sneak into bed with us.  I loved watching her little feet carry her as she spun circle after circle while dancing to her music this morning.  And capturing the fresh, new life scent of tiny baby feet and seeing each line and fold intricately designed brings me to a place of awe and reverence for how my children were knit together.  
moments after Julia's birth - June 2009
After each of my children were born, one of the first photos taken of the two of us together involves me studying their feet.  I wonder if Mary did the same for Jesus.  A powerful leader who was once so delicate.  I wonder if she just basked in the tiny miracle knowing that her precious bundle was the Savior of the world.  
I wonder what great things are in store for my children also - where these little feet will carry them throughout their lives.  
Hanging above our bed in our room is a reminder of this.  It is a collage of Julia's feet as she's grown and now pictures of Charlie are added too.  Among these pictures is the verse from Romans - "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news." - Romans 10:15.  It is our reminder as we go to bed and as we start our day for our daily blessings and our focus for the day.
How appropriate to continue this theme into Charlie's baptism invitations?  There is nothing like a great excuse to capture his footprint.  I had Julia's footprints all over everything when she was small.  Charles says that there are child labor laws against the amount of time that I spend utilizing my children to some extent in these projects.  My response: they are only little for a short time.  I have take it and run with it while I can.
What are the great things that bring joy this season?  I challenge you to look into the fine print of your lives to pull out the little daily miracles that bring such joy to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment